Roxby Discovery Tour
At this stage the Roxby Discovery Tours are not running with no return date determined. We will announce further details as they come to light.
For more details of Council and Roxbylink service changes please visit: https://www.roxbydowns.sa.gov.au/council/coronavirus-covid-19-updates
The Roxby Discovery Tour is designed to give visitors an insight into the workings of Roxby Downs, Olympic Dam and Arid Recovery. 'The whole Roxby experience'
The Roxby Discovery Tour is the only tour that allows you access for a look behind the fence of the Olympic Dam Mine Site. Please note this tour does not enter the working part of the Olympic Dam Mine, it tours the external roads on the mine lease.
The Roxby Discovery Tour operates each Tuesday evening, commencing 1.5 hours before sunset, between April and October only.
Tour length: 2.5 - 3 hours
Cost: Adults - $40.00, Concession (Concession, Pensioner, Student) - $30.00, Children 4-12 - $10.00
BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL
Your tour includes:
- Introduction to Roxby Downs, meet your tour guide and watch the Olympic Dam Story Presentation, including virtual underground mine tour
- Commentated bus tour to Olympic Dam Mine Site for a look behind the fence
- Visit to the Arid Recovery Reserve where you will learn about their conservation program and watch the sun set while enjoying some light refreshments
- Tours start and finish at the Visitor Information Centre located on Richardson Place – the main street in Roxby Downs
- All payments to be made at the Visitor Information Centre prior to the tour
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to scheduled start time and check in at Visitor Information Centre desk
- Children must be over 4 years to attend
- Each person is to be seated in their own seat with a seatbelt, no children are permitted to sit on laps
- No photos are permitted at the mine site but can be taken at the Arid Recovery Reserve
- At no stage are participants permitted to get off the bus while on the mine lease
- Tours require minimum of 10 passengers to run, we need to have 10 booked by 4pm the day prior for tour to go ahead
Long pants and enclosed shoes must be worn for the duration of the tour
To book you are required to provide each participants first and last name, a contact mobile number for the group, an in case of emergency (ICE) name and contact number of a friend or family member not on the tour with you, as well as any dietary requirements.
Rough start time will be given on booking and updated as necessary.
In the event of wet weather where the Borefield Road closes and we aren't able to get out to the Arid Recovery Reserve. Prices will drop to a $20.00 flat fee for both adults and concession, children's price will remain at $10.00. The tour will be reduced to two hours and no nibbles will be included.
While all care is taken tours are subject to change without notice.
You are welcome to bring along your own drink bottle or snack
Toilets are available at the Visitor Information Centre after the first half hour of the tour and then again when you reach the Arid Recovery Reserve
Parking at the front of the Visitor Information Centre is not restricted, so your vehicle can stay there for the three hours
Long vehicle parking is available just off of Richardson Place at the western end, behind the Roxby Downs Community Club
The nights can be chilly out at the Arid Recovery Reserve so bring along a jacket
This tour is proudly sponsored by BHP Olympic Dam.
For further information or to make a booking
Contact the Roxby Downs Visitor Information Centre
1-15 Richardson Place, Roxby Downs SA 5725
Phone: (08) 8671 5941